Sunday, July 15, 2012

Old Friends and New

This year, I am experiencing a new adventure. Rather than staying with
the Chinese family that I have come to know very well over the past six
years, this year, I am staying with a different family because I am
teaching in Xiangzhou rather than Doumen. When I first arrived at their
home, I immediately found out that they speak very little English. This
could have been intimidating or difficult. However, what I found is that
we communicate very well--all things considered.

In addition to my host family, I have gotten to know two other families
that are close friends with my hosts. All three families have daughters
who are eleven years old, so there is always a lot of giggling and fun
when they are together. In the evenings, the girls and I have retreated
to the cool of the bedroom and have played beauty shop (with me the
object of beautification), read together, or they have joined in on a
skype call to my husband, Dale or one of my children.

I miss my Doumen family. They are very special to me. But, this new
family has already won my heart. We may not speak the same language with
our voices, but I think our hearts have much in common. I look forward to
the next two weeks with Bella, Sarah, Jenny, and their parents. They are
wonderful hosts and friends.

Please continue to remember us as we spend time together.

Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment